Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Audio BJ for March 27, 2007



Remember back around 2000 when you couldn't walk five feet without hearing some crazy mupper-sounding woman singing a classic bluesy song? I try to forget but I stumble . . . Yes, Macy Gray is back with her new album, Big. It's certainly an apt title for a woman with a big voice, big hair, big body, and some big mental issues, based on some of the public appearance I remember her making. Actually, maybe she was just a big pothead, but as long as she isn't a big fashion influence, the world is safe.

When I was in college, I swear you couldn't walk for two straight blocks in downtown Des Moines without hearing "I Try" coming out of at least one car for several months in a row. In fact, I remember venturing into the New Blue Nude to check out the Bel Ami videos and feeling less nervous because I was distracted by that song. Now it's going to be stuck in my head again, and I'll just pray for the best and another frisky summer of Macy.



What is "new rave"? Apparently, it's a genre the Klaxons have possibly invented to describe their scene. It must be their scene, because they don't sound like the kind of music you'd hear at a rave. There's no disco house or ambient 4/4 techno garage fantasy with an electro breakdown and a happy hardcore encore. Instead, they just sound like another of those happy, dancey indie bands that I love to tolerate.

I'm so confused about all this "Nu Rave" and "new rave" going on in England. Is it coming to Chicago? Will there be warehouse drug-soaked dance orgies? I hope I'm not too old to be invited, if there are! But as far as the Klaxons are concerned, I guess I would break out the glow sticks and Vaporub mask and see them live. Their album, Myths of the Near Future, isn't as fun, but can you really condense an all-night DMT, PCP, GHB, and MDMA fantasy onto one cheap shiny disc? If so, the entire American secular college scene would be ruined instantly!



To celebrate the new episode of "Idol" tonight, I'm featuring this week's guest judge, Gwen Stefani! I remember when No Doubt was the hottest thing on "alternative" radio. I love "Just a Girl" still--it's a great song for dancing around the house, blasting out the lyrics. Because, as you all know, I, BJ, really am just a girl living in society. Aren't we all, sometimes? I also loved "Spiderwebs." When they played it at prom, I had a fantasy I was dancing with their drummer, who of course was wearing only a scanty thong.

So many memories! I'll slow dance with him, in my mind, to "Don't Speak." Until tomorrow, I hope you enjoy the weather or at least have your own rock'n'roll BJ fantasy!

No comments: