Friday, March 16, 2007

Big-Screen BJ for March 16, 2007



Donnie's back! Or, if he never went away, I certianly haven't kept up with his career, so he's back to me. I'm lucky in that I was the right age to appreciate both waves of boy bands. Sure, I didn't like LIKE NKOTB in the same explicitly sexual way as Juntin Timberlake, but I knew there was something special about the boys from Beantown. Joey was my personal favorite. Oh, Joey Mac, how I dreamed about having a slumber party with him and listening to Tiffany and Debbie Gibson.

Bad boy Donnie was not my favorite. I think it was the facial hair, and the felonies, that put me off. It's just not my thing. But I'm happy that Donnie is back, starring in Dead Silence a horror movie about a killer ventriloquist's dummy. It sounds horrible, but who knows, maybe it'll be up there with Child's Play. In the unlikely case it is actually scary, I'll bring Don, if I can convince him to forget the bruises I left in his arm during Blair Witch.



Perhaps we'll do a horror double-feature and check out Behind the Mask, too. It seems to be a horror/comedy mix with mocumentary elements and the guy who played Freddie Kreuger. So, Christopher Guest does female Freddie morphed into a straight-up slasher? Sounds like I'll need Benadryl to make it through this one. Let's hope it's playing at the movie theater that makes pina coladas.

For you artsy people, Oscar-nominated Kazakh movie Nomad is opening this week. The genuine Kazakh history and scenery may make you forget the portrayal of that country in a certain famous movie that just came out on DVD.

Really, this seems to be a not so interesting week for new movies, but there's figure skating on DVD, a new season of "The Golden Girls" coming from Netflix today, and a pint of Cherry Garcia in the freezer, so I'm set for the weekend.

No comments: